The 2024 event will present a 45km ultra-marathon run, a 21km half-marathon walk as well as a brand new 21km half-marathon run within the Timbavati wilderness. All tracks will journey through pristine Big 5 country and expose some of the hidden gems within the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve.
The 45km ultra-marathon run will be open to only 20 runners in one “herd”/group, and the 21km half-marathon run will be open for 40 runners, split into two “herds”/ groups for safety as well as for pace preference and the 21km half-marathon walk will be open for 20 walkers in one “herd”/group.
We must emphasise that this event is not a race but rather a run/walk where all runners/walkers get to experience an intimate connection with nature and exercise for a cause. Groups will run at split time intervals and the group will run together to ensure the safety of each participant.
Safety is our priority. Support vehicles and bicycles will accompany participants during the full duration of the run/walk and competent medical personnel will be on call & present at all times.
Participating in the Timbavati Traverse is a once in a lifetime experience which provides you with an exclusive run/walk through a world renowned nature reserve. During your run/walk, you will be guided by qualified guides who aim to ensure your ultimate safety as well as provide an educational experience to the wonders of the African bush.
R10 000.00 per ultra-marathon runner | R 8 000.00 per half-marathon runner | R 8 000.00 per half-marathon walker
Your entry fee includes:
- Access to the exclusive and stunning setting of the beautiful and pristine Timbavati Private Nature Reserve in the heart of the Greater Kruger National Park.
- Conservation levy to enter into the reserve.
- Pre-event registration on the 20th September snacks and drinks when collecting goodie bags.
- Post-run event lunch with beverages for runners and a plus one. (All dietary requirements will be catered for.
- Goodie bag with some amazing items inside. Boasted as the best goodie bag received by participants!
- Full kit of branded Timbavati Traverse running sports shirt, shorts cap, buff and even a pair of UV sleeves.
- A raffle ticket for the Timbavati Traverse runners raffle, giving you a chance to win a free entry into the 2025 event.
- Five-star snack platters as well as hydration points will be provided throughout the day while you are out on track on Saturday.
- Weekend ticket for the runner & his/her family into the world-class Graeme Naylor Museum.
The entry fee does NOT include:
- Accommodation. A contact list for accommodation establishments link can be found under the FAQs page.
- Other runners’ apparel. A branded runners t-shirt will be provided. See under FAQs on what to pack. Other merchandise can be purchased at our store.
- Transport to start or from finish to accommodation. Parking is available at the event.
Families are welcome and will be able to join in on the festivities throughout the day at the Timbavati Headquarters. Unfortunately, no spectators will be allowed along the route for safety reasons.
While your family waits for your arrival, they will be entertained to the full. They will be given chance to explore the spectacular Timbavati’s Graeme Naylor Museum as well as be entertained by organised activities for the whole family throughout the day.
The Timbavati Traverse routes expose beautiful tough rugged dirt track terrain which puts runners & walkers to the test. The routes highlight some of Timbavati’s unique features such as giant Baobabs and breathtaking mountain views but most of all showcase some exhilarating sightings of general plains game as well as some of the big five animals such as elephant, buffalo, lion and even leopard!
The 2024 event offers three unique opportunities to either walk 21km, run 21km or for the brave, run 45km. These routes have been designed to not only challenge the participant but also expose the beauty of the Timbavati and its magic. Each route will have water points set up at every 7km which are fully catered for with energy-boosting snacks, water & energy drinks.
“It was great to meet so many other runners, also running as a group was really fun, it made it feel like you went really running in a way. I normally run alone or when I’m at home running there will be a maximum of 5 of us so running with this many people was a really different experience for me. I also really enjoyed the drink/snacks stops on route, this broke up the run nicely. The scenery was really nice and we saw a lot of general game, the experience with the Elephants was great and I also was one of the runners who saw the male Lion, although I think the Lion was just as surprised to see us as he was already running away as we ran in that direction.”
How to get here
The event takes place from the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve’s headquarters. Travelers have two main ways of getting here either by car or by airplane.
Carriers – SA Airlink & Cemair
The itinerary for the day is subject to change, however runners and their families may plan around the one below.
* Food available from 08h00 till 15h00
– Grant Murphy
How should I train for this event?
What should my average pace be?
Runners entering into the ultra-marathon herd should be able to keep an average pace of 6:15 – 6:30mins per kilometer. Runners entering into the half-marathon herd should be able to keep an average pace of 6:15 – 6:30mins per kilometer. Walkers will need to maintain an average pace of 11min per kilometer. The walk is simulated as an active exercise walking pace and not a leisure walk.
What safety measures are in place while I run/walk?
What is the weather like during July in the Lowveld?
What should I pack?
Runners/walkers please make sure you pack running shoes that are suited for off road terrain. The rugged dirt roads will not do well with slick tar road running takkies!
For the early morning start be sure to have something warm. If you get hot, extra clothing can be loaded onto the support vehicle.
Is Timbavati a high Malaria risk area?
Do I need to run with a hydration pack?
Is accommodation included in my entry?
Where do we stay?
The Timbavati has 18 all-inclusive lodges and 4 self catering options. Many of the lodges will be offering packages for this event specifically so be sure to follow the Timbavati Traverse facebook page to see who is.
If these lodges are above your budget, we have hand picked a few options in the Hoedspruit surroundings which you can contact to book your stay.